The Glitch & Brexit

Jake Crickmore

Collaboration and introducing new hardware?

This week I had a discussion about going forward and how the content we produced could maybe be revised, as although we have a lot of good ideas it can also be important to think of other possible routes to convey the information that we want to produce. Maybe we need to expand as a pair and perhaps collaborate with another group. Our peers were thinking of using the exhibition space for creating two themes of one side being that of a utopia and the other being dystopia, we will need to go into more detailed conversations on what content they want but I was thinking that maybe it would be a good idea for me and Liam to showcase this glitch aesthetic in their dystopian half part of their project, to showcase our work within another classmates work to show somewhat of an inception of projects. The premise of their piece is to create a space where there is a utopian and dystopian side and they want to use our content for the dystopian. Me and Liam wanted to get on board with their work as it was laid out as a sort of sandbox for us to move around with our work and for them to cater towards our projects. We have been in touch as groups and have given them the general picture of what we are aiming to achieve. That is to provide still images, videos and GIFs within that dystopian space.

We would then be feeding into there work to hopefully both make ours excel! Next week we will discuss how our other classmates want the work to be presented as me and Liam could provide the contact but depending on what we create, because it is also apart of their project it is important to keep in contact with each to make sure there isn’t any complications and to make sure that our ideas never conflict.

With the images that’ll be produced, I decided to gain another opinion on whether to maybe add another dimension to the project. What was suggested that it would be good to include an array of stock footage from perhaps films like ‘They Live’ and ‘Shaun of the Dead’ to convey this dystopian aesthetic through film might also add to the imagery. Some advice given is that it could potentially be really effective to have a mass amount of this stock footage to make sure that there is also something fresh to show. To create a remix of some sort and to apply glitch aesthetic maybe within the footage. Tracking back to my last blog the use of semiotics is also vital in our project and I think applying this stock footage along with still images would maybe create an affective Kulashov affect of the juxtaposition between images. Of course we would have strategically arrange them to see what looks most effective. This will have to be sorted once we have finalised the project and can actually use the space given to us. As a side note I was introduced to some spare Sony Watchmen devices where I was told that we could input our glitch aesthetic onto these archaic devices by pinpointing the right signal. This really can be a nice dynamic to include as it actually gives us more utility to showcase our work on these tiny portable devices. The added details could be a very nice out to show our final finished project although we will have to decide in upcoming weeks whether we want to add other types of hardware within our space or if would actually be easier and more effective to probably stick with minimalism.

When reflecting on the Sony watchmen devices that were introduced to us it really made me think of the positives and negatives immediately as although having the hardware would’ve proved to have been a nice aesthetic however I had to take into the account of how much space me and Liam were going to have in the exhibition room as we don’t want to make our section of glitch look cluttered and disorganised. The size of them was also an issue, since it was a handheld device it would’ve been hard to make it noticeable especially since we need to take into accountability that there simply wouldn’t be a suitable place to prop it up since the fabric we want to use will be the main attraction. Overall from these sessions so far we are starting to get more of a clear grasp of what we want so far, which is to focus on angling the projectors we acquire onto multiple sets of fabric that show case how we have interlinked the glitch with Brexit.

Next Post

Previous Post